a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Fourteen Oh! Eight and Others

After hearing a few good reviews we went to see 1408 this weekend. It was pretty decent, with tons of really creepy shit, but the beginning and end were both really slow and cheesy. I can't wait to stay in a hotel again, just for the inevitable flashbacks of all the strange imagery this movie has sunk into my mind.

Finished the first season of Entourage, fuckin awesome. Great characters and plenty of hilarious cameos. Each episode is a short little treat of dirty hollywood b.s. skewered for my amusement.

Also saw Apocalypto, which was much better than I expected. It was pretty damn violent, disturbing like Braveheart on speed. I looked around online to get a feel for how accurate it really was, but there seems to be points of view from both sides (on the internet... imagine that!). Some elements from the film were no doubt creatively intuited (to have actually happened in Mayan culture), and the historical timeline was something of a mishmash, but it really doesn't change my opinion of the movie. I thought the costumes, scenery, and acting were spectacular, but a couple of the plot elements were a tad trite.

No comments: