a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The cure at amh

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

This was a great show. They played everything I could think of, plus a whole lot more. These guys may have been doing this for a while but they are still tight and rocking as hell. That being said, Austin Music Hell sucks a bucket of ass. The sound and view of the stage appeared to be decent from everywhere, but it was hot as satan-balls on the floor, even on the outer rim of the crowd. A cloud of steaming human juices hung about, smelling of sweat and black eyeliner. I got to see Robert Smith leer toothily in person; I can check that box now.

I've been listening to quite a bit of Wish ever since, and it immediately took me back a specific set of memories that I have associated with this record. This happens every so often, usually where I had intense crushes on briefly borrowed albums but never actually bought them myself, leaving something like a time capsule. I borrowed this from my friend Ben (or was it Laura? both viable candidates...) and loved it immediately. It was maybe 1-2 years after it came out. I vaguely remember being somewhere out of town playing it on my tape adaptor-fitted discman, the red and blue cover art, from "Open" to "End." Except for that brief affair with Wish, I've been surviving on Show my whole life. Unfortunately I never had the same experience with Disentegration as an album (though I know most of them and I always loved "Love Song"), but it's blowing my mind now. Better late than never. This time around I can really hear the Interpol influences - the wall of guitar and effects over grooving basslines - great stuff.

Here's a video I found on the web from the show:





Here's the setlist and Statesman review.

No comments: