a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Restaurant: Tropical Smoothie Café

A couple of weeks ago I got a coupon via email for free shit at a nearby Tropical Smoothie Café(www.tropicalsmoothie.com), so me and my lovely drove over to give it a try. It bills itself to be a healthy alternative to fast food, with sandwiches, wraps, salads, and obviously a bunch of different kinds of smoothies. Prices are about the same as other sandwich places, which for some reason seem to have shot up in the last few years. Schlotzky’s always had an excuse in my opinion, as the sandwiches are all warm, they come with tons of meat and veggies, and the bread is something special, but Quiznos, Subway... even for a smallish lunch you’re probably not going to pay less than $8. Kinda ridiculous. But I digress.

For food we decided to try their wraps. C2 had the Chicken Philly Grill, and I got the Jamaican Jerk Chicken wrap. They were both fair to middlin’, although the “Texas Petal Sauce” (basically a southwestern dressing) that comes with the Philly grill was a strange combination with all the other ingredients. The jerk chicken wrap was nice and spicy and all the ingredients tasted fresh, but next time I think we might give the regular sandwiches a try. The ones I saw others eating seemed a little small, but they’re served on some kind of focaccia that looked interesting.

I kind of blanked on the smoothies and just ordered the same thing that C2 asked for, a strawberry beach smoothie (strawberries and yogurt). They were ok, but I should have tried something different - next time maybe I’ll go with a Blimey Limey (strawberries, pineapples, orange, lime). I would also add that the smallest size of smoothie you can get (the regular) was maybe too much for one person (especially to go along with food). Getting one to split might be a better choice in the future.

All in all, there wasn’t anything particularly spectacular going on at Tropical Smoothie Café, but I think we would eat there again for variety. It was a nice switch from burgers and burritos. According to signs inside, they’re open for breakfast as well.

No comments: