a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

New Set of Melons

I just happened to check the Blind Melon Wiki entry today, and what I discovered shocked me to the core. Well, maybe not all the way to the core, but it's still pretty cool that as of late last year, they've reformed with a new singer and are currently recording a new album. Their Myspace blog discusses the album and the new singer a little bit. Like I say, this is old news, but somehow I never heard about it. Also I found the webpage for the tribute album, which I'd heard about when it was still in development. There's samples on the page there. I'm still making my way through them but so far what I've heard sounds pretty awesome. It's nice to hear some different artists give their alternate takes on of some of their best songs. I don't know whether I'd ever purchase it though - some of them are pretty generic teen rock band-esque.

My favorite is probably the Jena Kraus take on "Tickled Pink." And you gotta love the David Aaron version of "Life Ain't So Shitty." Jesus. Kiss of the Melonferatu. It says on his artist page that he's gifted with "Jeff Buckley reminiscent vocals and innovative transitions." From just hearing this one song, I assume they're talking post-drowning Buckley. That was a whole different phase.

No comments: