a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Blue Sky Special

I picked up a couple of cds the other day, the new Wilco Sky Blue Sky and Stephen Marley's Mind Control. I've been listening to the Wilco for a couple of months now, but it actually only came out this week so I went and made our union respectable in the eyes of the lord and law. So worth it. I found the super big bang package that comes with an awesome DVD with summat like 8 live performances of new tracks. Plus I got an email today letting me know I could use the CD to download a track from their website, "The Thanks I Get." It was one of my favorites from Tweedy's Sunken Treasure live solo album. It's nice to hear a full band but I'm still pretty attached to the acoustic version.

Like I say, the live performances on the DVD are really nice, especially Nels Cline hammering out some great solos, each a little different from the album cuts, or when the three guitars come together on songs like "Impossible Germany" and others. It was a little weird listening to Tweedy talk about where he was coming from with this record and blah blah blah, when I've read him saying all the same soundbites in several other interviews. It's a little like seeing a comedian repeat bits. I'm not doubting his sincerity, but still I wonder whether you think up all your stories and explanations before you go out for the first interview, or is it more of a process where you figure out your feelings about your latest work over time?

The Stephen Marley album is also great; I heard a little bit of it in Planet K in San Antonio while we were killing time before the Tool show. Very easy to listen to. There's one track that's a little too rough'n'reggaton, just grates a little, but most of it is very chill with good backing beats, interesting cameos, sometimes with a little funk mixed in.

No comments: