a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's Been Some Time

Well hello. I've been a little stagnant for the past month or two, no real reason, just drifted away from the keyboard. Mainly been working, both at home and on the road, trying to get some exercise, playing 40k and CoD:WaW, listening to music, watching movies, planning for southby... generally having a good time. We are still keeping up with Lost but dropped off of Heroes. What are you gonna do.

My mom gave me the first tape of the audiobook version of Gates of Eden, and I was able to listen to it last week. Right off the bat you've got John Goodman having a generally casual but sometimes heated one-sided conversation with a stranger in a bar about his joyful liasons with a murdered man's wife, and I'm not spoiling it to tell you she did it. Now you know that sounds worth your time. They're all narrated by Coen Bras stars, and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of them. Will advise.

I'm slowly rolling through The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, very enjoyable. It took a turn I wasn't expecting at the conclusion of the first Part and I am looking forward to the conclusion. Do recommend.

Some movies:

Quarantine - Hey, wow, way better than I expected. I mean, it's definitely a cheesy horror flick. But it's a zombie movie, so for me it starts out on the better end. And even though some parts were fairly predictable, I still enjoyed it. I never experienced the headaches some people got from the 1st person, camcorder-style horror movies (e.g. The Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield), but if YOU did, just wash your lil cooter out and take a few advil before you watch this one. 3/5 stars.

Babylon A.D. - Ehhh. I wanted to enjoy it... I just couldn't. The end was just weird, maybe if I read the book it might make more sense. It was a book first, right? 1.5/5 stars.

Religulous - Well, this one was an easy sell. Big balls to Bill. 4/5 stars.

Pineapple Express - Started off funny but got boring, didn't even finish it. Poop stars.

Deadly Friend - Watch this weird 1986 horror movie just to see Kristy Swanson pretend to have a robot brain. Hilarious. 2/5 stars.

Near Dark - The guy that plays Nathan Petrelli from Heroes is a country boy that joins up with grimy vampires played by people from Aliens. Meh. 1.5 stars.

Burn After Reading - Definitely amusing at times (mostly just the Clooney scenes), but overall not my favorite Coen movie. Even Brad Pitt, whose bizarre character cracked me up in the preview, did not really keep my attention after all. And Frances McDormand is awesome but just not in this one. Oh well. 3/5 stars.

W. - This was about what I expected, and I really liked it. I thought almost all the actors did an awesome job, especially Josh Brolin (W.) and Thandi Newton (Condi), and even though it clearly takes some liberties, what matters in the end result: Shitstorm Ground Zero 2009, the truth still hurts more than the fiction. Thanks for nothing, you cocks. 4/5 stars.

Now watch this awesome Daily Show clip about CNBC and some of the big crow-fattened CEOs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't just seriously say Thandie Newton was "awesome" in W did you? I enjoyed most every other performance, but hers was literally one of the worst performances I have ever seen in a major studio motion picture ever. It's like she was in a bad 11:55 PM SNL skit. Even more distracting considering how good everyone else was. Good flick though. Brolin was great, and I loved Dreyfus' Cheney as well.

Glad you're enjoying The Crossing, I finally finished the Border Trilogy, I'll let you borrow Cities of the Plain when you're done with The Crossing.

bullymike said...

i don't know maybe she just matched up to my image of her. you aren't the only person to disagree with me on that topic, so maybe i prefer the surreal take rather than the ultra accaret. that's the thing about stone's movies that i really like, yes it's based on real events but always has that panicky dramatic flavor.