a fig for care, a fig for woe!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ketchup

Last weekend we tried out the Tilted Kilt way up north of mopac. It's essentially the same as Lion and the Rose in San Antonio: a british pub-themed Hooters. They do have a better beer selection than the Hoots, I'll give em that. The food was so-so. I had a couple pints of Stella and a fish sandwich; c2 had a "irish dip," which was their version of a french dip roast beef sandwich. Both meals were decent, and I especially liked the fries. The service was a little dippy. It would probably be a fun place to watch a game if it wasn't so goddamn loud inside. Still, I might go back.

No Country For Old Men was awesome. Pretty fucking cold balls but awesome. Will had already seen it a couple weeks prior but went with me to see it again. I get now why he was so eager to watch the movie a second time. Very suspenseful with great black humor dialogue. Chigurh is one of my favorite bad guys now. Thankfully I had totally forgotten that Josh Brolin was Brent in Goonies or else I might not have taken him so seriously. Don't let anyone give away the ending for you!

Mr. Brooks was definitely head and shoulders below No Country, but I still think it had its merits. Pretty much every scene with Costner, Cook, and Hurt together is great - the alter ego gimmick worked for me - everything else is terrible. The entire sideline plot around Demi Moore's character tracking Brooks down is worthless.

Hmm what else? I threw +2 on the 9 hole at Wells Branch the other day, beating my personal best of +4. That was pretty sweet.

Oh yeah, I finally got The Orange Box, and it's as great a set of games as I was expecting. I already beat Portal, a neat little game centered around one of my all-time secret wish fantasy toys: the portable hole. It's essentially a first-person puzzler with great graphics and the same creepy, quiet atmosphere as games like Myst or the original Half Life. A great title. Teamfortress 2, however, is a fucking masterpiece. TF2 is probably one of the most perfect computer games I have ever played. The graphics are cool and the mechanics are very smooth. Obviously you need an internet connection and a worthwhile server, but there's always tons of them to choose from. All the classes are equally fun, some more challenging than others. I don't think I'll ever be a very good spy or sniper, but I'm decent with the heavy, engineer, pyro, and medic classes. It's so fun to set up those sentry guns that you just want to cry.

No comments: